Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Birth Story


Corbin Jeffrey Brown, Born July 16, 2010, 8 lbs 6.6 oz, 20 inches


I was 5 days late and getting frustrated. I felt like my body didn’t know what it was supposed to do. I had not been feeling any contractions and had been doing many things to induce labor naturally as I didn’t want it to be induced for me. Jeff and I had been walking together each night for about 2 weeks. On Thursday July 15 we decided, after watching a very funny episode of Wipeout, that we would go on a walk somewhere cool which ended up being Bridal Veil Falls in the Provo Canyon. Upon arrival to the falls, Jeff began a conversation with his brother Darren, so I took a short stroll up the trail. A short time later I felt a slight gush of warm liquids and realized that my water was breaking. When I got back to the falls, Jeff had just finished his conversation so I shared the good news with him, my face beaming the whole time. I then made him take the ironic picture of me in front of the gushing waterfalls. As we followed the river stream down the trail my “stream also kept flowing.”

Last pic being pregnant 41 weeks


We drove home where I showered and got ready for the big event. Jeff tidied the house and packed the bags. Jeff stated that it was not like the dramatic rush of events he’d imagined. It was a very relaxing and exciting time as we arrived at The Timpanogos Hospital at 10:30pm.

First thing was first as we got checked into our room and all of the information to the nurses and Drs as to what was happening. Since I am strep B positive I received an IV for antibiotics. It took the nurse three tries to get the vein and then she had to also draw my blood. By this time I had started getting a few small contractions was 80 effaced and dilated to a 2. About one hour after all of this I had one very painful contraction and decided that I didn’t want to suffer hours of this kind of pain being strapped to a bed. The nurse anesthetist came in and administered the Epidural. The first time he had hit some vein and had to start over and I feel that I did a great job at staying relaxed during the procedure and contractions. As he put the dose in I got very dizzy so I was laid down and given oxygen after which I started to get very itchy over my arms, face and chest. After about 30 min of itching my face off I was given some type of Benadryl medication and it eased up but I do have little scabs on my face where I was rubbing with the wash cloth.

My epidural was great because I could still feel and move my legs. As my labor progressed I was started on a very low dose of pitocin. With this my labor was progressing nicely other than the fact that I was throwing up about every hour. At about 5am I was dilated to a 5 and 95% effaced, at that time I started to feel some discomfort and hit the epidural button which unfortunately numbed my legs. Around 8:30 the nurse came in to check my status and found that I was ready to have the baby. As she informed the dr. they allowed me to rest and descend the baby. Around 9:00 the nurse came back and with her and Jeff’s help I started pushing. Jeff did such a great job at counting out the pushes. At first it was 3 sets of 10 second pushes and then we moved to 4 sets of 8 second pushes. I was able to watch the progression in a mirror. At 10:15 Dr. Bean came in to deliver the baby. As I was pushing he started to see the need for a possible episiotomy. He allowed me to do a few more sets of pushing but ultimately I had to receive a minor one. In total I pushed for 1 hour and 30 min. The dr said that it would have been 15 if I not been throwing up and missing contractions and if the baby’s face would have been facing down (instead it was facing my leg.) I asked them if they would place him on my stomach as soon as he arrived. Corbin Jeffrey Brown was born at 10:47 am weighing 8lbs, 6.6 oz, 20 inches long. When we were first married we were searching the scriptures and found the name Corbin. We liked it very much and thought it was appropriate because it means “gift from god.”

The Official weigh in

Family photo

proud grammy suzy and grampy reed

5 comments:

Aleen said...

We're thrilled that Corbin Jeffrey has joined our family! Parenthood is an awesome experience, with countless joys and some challenges. Realize that the first several weeks are usually especially difficult as the nursing routine is established and so on. "The Womanly Art of Breatfeeding" by La Leche League is an excellent resource.

When Corbin begins to smile and respond to you, the rewarding and fun times begin. . . It may take a month or two, so just keep encouraging him to express himself. He will surprise you and melt your hearts. . .

Thank you for sharing your story and these precious photos, Shelley. Love to you three Brownies!

Tia said...

Congratulations! Sounds like it was an exciting day for you :) Hopefully you are feeling well and just enjoying that sweet little boy.

Holly said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Shelley and Jeff! Congratulations on becoming parents; I'm sure you'll be wonderful at it :)

Howells Fam said...

Congratulations Shelly! He's adorable, I can't believe he's so big!

The Cannons said...

Congratulations. I obviously love the name Corbin. I'm happy for you guys.